Forums » The Chatterbox

Erie Canal Ride July 2017

I am planning on riding the 2017 Annual Bike Tour on the Erie Canal towpath July 9-16, 2017.

http://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-canal/annual-bike-tour/itinerary

I would like to have companions who ride at my pace. I am a retiree, age 76. The longest day's ride is 65 miles. I recently did a 65 mile ride in Florida (Sarasota/Manatee B.C. Cyclefest) in 5 hours. My average speed was 15.6 mph. That was pushing it for me so I suspect I will set a more leisurely pace on the long days of this ride.

I would like to hear from anyone who wants to join me. Registration opens January 2, 2017. Larry English lpe@lpenglish.com

Larry, It was great to speak with you about this ride! I will do my best to connect you with some good cycling companions! Mike Smith...meet Larry! See you soon! Jan

We were coming back from Toronto to Rochester area last year - stopped, took Erie canal boat tour, up/back through some lockes. Tow paths still there where animals pulled boats up the canal... really a major part of our history. I was also told you can canoe / kayak full Erie canal through lockes for free. that is another adventure.. Tom Q.