Forums » The Chatterbox

2014 TDF

Given that the little climbing machine from Columbia (Quintana) and Wiggo aren't participating this year here is are my top 5: Wiggo might not have been in it anyway.

1) Contador - Strong again and wins the GC

2) Nibali

3) Froome - No Hagen

4) Valverde

5) Andy Schleck

Just kidding about Schleck. Ha! Hopefully Tejay has a healthy hip and can bust into the top ten but I wont bet Coleman's airline ticket on it.

In reply to JRogowski

Contador and Froome in a shoot out (in that order), with Jens in every breakaway and stealing a stage. (Actually, "they" will let him win one for his retirement). If Valverde and Nibali are involved, we might as well be watching the Giro or Vuelta. "They" should have saved Quintana for this race, we have been deprived of an essential player in this drama.

Jim,

I see Talansky is top 5 and maybe even on the podium. Have to see if he can handle the full three weeks of this tough event.

that cobblestone race was a thriller. I find myself rooting for Sagan to get a stage, and definately Yens....Guess I'll have to keep waiting.

I should check the EBCC forum more often. Best comedy show around! Did you guys all just copy and paste those predictions from Velo News and/or Bicycling? Or are you paraphrasing Phil and Paul? You know I'm pretty sure they think Lance is still in the hunt. I'm sorry Walt, old friend, but your notion that they'd gift Voigt a stage is...pretty dang funny.

But seriously...predicting the Tour? Biggest crap shoot there is. You should play a fantasy league next year if you aren't already. I'm doing really poorly this year although Martin bumped me up about 10 places today. There's a lot of days left though; still hoping to improve on my only podium finish in anything cycling-related ever, last year. I was 3rd overall.

http://www.velogames.com/tour-de-france/2014/teamroster.php?tid=53b55dbe97fa5255

In reply to wpprescott

> "Did you guys all just copy and paste those predictions from Velo News and/or Bicycling?"

Sounds like somebody has a procedure.

I'm going to make my predictions on Saturday 7/26...after the race, of course.

In reply to RonB

> I see Talansky is top 5 and maybe even on the podium.

Well this ain't happening now but...from the looks of the video I saw, Hunter did a little review of Rule #5 with Talansky on the side of the road today.

In reply to wpprescott

My money's on Froome and Contador.

In reply to wpprescott

> I should check the EBCC forum more often. Best comedy show around! Did you guys all just copy and paste those predictions from Velo News and/or Bicycling? Or are you paraphrasing Phil and Paul? You know I'm pretty sure they think Lance is still in the hunt. I'm sorry Walt, old friend, but your notion that they'd gift Voigt a stage is...pretty dang funny. > > But seriously...predicting the Tour? Biggest crap shoot there is. You should play a fantasy league next year if you aren't already. I'm doing really poorly this year although Martin bumped me up about 10 places today. There's a lot of days left though; still hoping to improve on my only podium finish in anything cycling-related ever, last year. I was 3rd overall. > > http://www.velogames.com/tour-de-france/2014/teamroster.php?tid=53b55dbe97fa5255

Biggest crap shoot? Many consider the TDF the easiest to predict of all sports. It's an endurance event where athletes showcase their abilities, their team and their confidence prior to a three week race. Try picking a CBB winner at the beginning of a 5 month season with 300+ D1 teams with the top 50 having great parity and no clue on the chemistry. My dog can get ~20% accuracy with TDF picks.

In reply to JRogowski

> Biggest crap shoot? Many consider the TDF the easiest to predict of all sports. It's an endurance event where athletes showcase their abilities, their team and their confidence prior to a three week race. Try picking a CBB winner at the beginning of a 5 month season with 300+ D1 teams with the top 50 having great parity and no clue on the chemistry. My dog can get ~20% accuracy with TDF picks. >

Many? Who? Comparing the Tour to CBB is apples to oranges. And point me to your dog's selections and/or fantasy team. I'd like to see his/her picks.

Vinny looks pretty good and has the mental upper hand but...you just never know. I wouldn't write Valverde, Tejay or Pinot off yet. Heck, even Frank Schleck looked decent today.

The good news is with Pinot, J-Rod, and Valverde on my fantasy team, I'll pick up lots of ground in the mountains. And I have Martin and Kittel (who barely made the time cut today; he better not screw up!) as well, so mark me down ahead of time for the TT winner and a victory on the Champs-Elysees. I may make the podium yet.

In reply to wpprescott

> > > Biggest crap shoot? Many consider the TDF the easiest to predict of all sports. It's an endurance event where athletes showcase their abilities, their team and their confidence prior to a three week race. Try picking a CBB winner at the beginning of a 5 month season with 300+ D1 teams with the top 50 having great parity and no clue on the chemistry. My dog can get ~20% accuracy with TDF picks. > > > Many? Who? Comparing the Tour to CBB is apples to oranges. And point me to your dog's selections and/or fantasy team. I'd like to see his/her picks. > > Vinny looks pretty good and has the mental upper hand but...you just never know. I wouldn't write Valverde, Tejay or Pinot off yet. Heck, even Frank Schleck looked decent today. > > The good news is with Pinot, J-Rod, and Valverde on my fantasy team, I'll pick up lots of ground in the mountains. And I have Martin and Kittel (who barely made the time cut today; he better not screw up!) as well, so mark me down ahead of time for the TT winner and a victory on the Champs-Elysees. I may make the podium yet.

You saw my dogs picks at the top of the post. I wouldn't have done as well. Wasn't comparing TDF and CBB, just comparing picking winners.
Vinny looked really great today. I took a vacation day and got to watch it live. The attack on Valverde and the pull away from Konig with a few km to go showed he is the strongest left in this decimated field. He didn't take the easier finish of just sticking on Valverde's wheel like he could have. Richie and Sky are done though.
Kudos to Tejay. Podium spot? Really wanted him to catch Pinot today. Kudos to that guy Fuglsangs(?). Terrible crash and kept going. Makes Froome and Contador look questionable. Three good climbs tomorrow - let's see who can dig deep(er) while I drink lattes from my sofa.

It appears that about 7 of the riders (or their helpers) are uploading their info to Strava. Sort of interesting to see how fast they go up the climbs, and compare it to your own if you've done the climbs.

Tom, Jerry, Wayne: As they are in your neck of the woods now, your KOM's are in danger. You'll have to go back next year to get them back.

http://www.strava.com/pros/1603067

In reply to walt

> It appears that about 7 of the riders (or their helpers) are uploading their info to Strava. Sort of interesting to see how fast they go up the climbs, and compare it to your own if you've done the climbs.
> > Tom, Jerry, Wayne: As they are in your neck of the woods now, your KOM's are in danger. You'll have to go back next year to get them back. > > http://www.strava.com/pros/1603067 >

I am so quaking in my boots for fear.....